Saturday, August 23, 2008

Trip to Shipshewana

We took a short two day, one night trip to northern Indiana to celebrate Kathy feeling better and the end of summer vacation. Kathy isn't up to a theme park type trip quite yet such as to King's Island or Holiday World. This was sort of a continuation of our trip that we took to this part of the state last October that was cut short by the tornado in Nappannee. Shipshewana is in the heart of Amish country. We drove home along the Amish "Heritage Trail" past Amish farms and buggies. This is a very beautiful part of the state, but not as hilly and lush as southern Indiana. In the fall, we plan to take a trip or go camping in southern Indiana or western Tennessee.


We stayed at a swim park-themed hotel. The hotel was really nice. The indoor swim park was fun, but less than amazing. The kids enjoyed the arcade more than the swim park!


We ate a huge Amish-style family dinner at this restaurant. Good food - especially the homemade noodles, fried chicken and pie!









We took a carriage ride through town and stopped at a number of Amish shops. The weather was great! The highs were in the 70s and lows in the 50s for the weekend.
















Waiting for the carriage ride.

3 comments:

Linda Cameron said...

Kathy, I'm so glad that you are able to get out more! Trent, you didn't get in any of the pictures. Wow, there is so much to do in your neck of the woods. Love the names of the towns, too. The town we visited in southeastern Pennsylvania was Intercouse, PA. "Trip to Shipshewana" sounds like a hip hop song from the 50s. Love ya all.

Cristy said...

Kathryn-
You don't know me...I was just searching through Plainfield, Indiana blogs looking for someone who might be LDS. I saw the picture of "your temple" at the top!!
So...my family is relocating there in a few weeks and I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about the area! We are looking in Plainfield and Avon.
What I really want to know is what are good areas to live in and how big the Nursery is at church!
My husband and I are flying out there at the end of this week for a house hunting trip!
Any help would be appreciated!
You can email me at -
cristy.michaelson@gmail.com

Thanks again!

Erin said...

I love that you guys go on so many trips! How does Justin do?